Seasons and months
Lesson: Seasons and months
School: “Beineu secondary school“ CSS
Teacher: Dina Shonaeva
Class : 5
Number present: 10
Learning objectives(s) that this lesson is contributing to
L2 understand an increasing range of supported questions which ask for
S3 begin to describe past experiences on an increasing range of general and some curricular topics
R1 recognize, identify and sound with support a growing range of
W4 write with support a sequence of short sentences in a paragraph to give basic personal information
All learners will able to:
– Pronounce the names of seasons and months: April, March, May, June, July, August, September, October, November .Winter, spring, autumn, summer.
– Write words and sentences correctly.
Most learners will able to:
– Work in groups and answer the questions
– Match the corresponding adjectives with the correct season
Some learners will able to:
– Complete the sentences and speak with necessary words
– Can talk about the seasons and months
– Can ask questions about seasons and months
Key words and phrases:
November , December, January, February
Useful classroom language for dialogue writing:
Discussion points: What is your favorite season?
Can you say with……..?
Is your favorite month …..?
Wall gallery pictures about seasons and month
Vocabulary words about sport
Planned activities ( replace the notes below with your planned activities)
a) Greeting .Talk with duties
b) Dividing into two groups
1group – warm season. 2 group – cold season
Brainstorming. “Draw a season“
Criteria – based assessment
5 flowers or 4 flowers,1 petal=“Very good“
4 petals, 1 flower or 3 petals, 2 flowers = “Good“
5leaves or 4 leaves 1 petal = “Average“
Picture cards and word cards
Activity 1. “ Gallery pictures“. Start by asking simple questions like “Look at the gallery pictures? What can you see? “ The first gallery is summer. There are 3 months: June , July, August
Finish by showing learners month word cards. Learners look and read aloud. Do the same for the other 3 seasons
Activity 2. “Picture map“ game.
Activity 3. SQ3R strategy. Read the text about “ Happy all year round“
S – Survey, Q – Question, R – read, R – recall, R – review
Activity 4. “Picture shapes“. 1 group – put pictures with descending seasons. 2 group – put words with ascending months.
Gallery pictures, semantic map
Warm – up activity.“ Use a picture dictionary“. Learners must write which is holidays` month.
Nauryz holiday, New Year, Children Day, Fool`s Day, Independence Day, Capital Day, Kozy Korpesh Bayan Sulu….
pictures of holidays
Activity 4. “ EXPO`s tickets“ game.
Answer the questions
1) Which is your favorite season?
2) Which month is your birthday in?
3) Which is your favorite month?
4) Which is the hottest month of the year in your country?
Differentiation – how do you plan to give more support? How do you plan to challenge the more able learners?
Assessment – how are you planning to check learners’ learning?
Cross-curricular links. Health and safety check ICT links Values links
I used my lesson for assessment Criteria – based assessment. Using flowers, petals, leaves were successful idea. It was true and real.
Interactive board, worksheet,
In my opinion the lesson objectives/learning objectives
were workable. The strategy SQ3R was curiosity for
In my view that my learners learned about the names of seasons and months. Learners were able to write words right.
Learners were given answers for display question.
In drawing seasons and using a picture dictionary were active for the learners. Learners did these activities with pleasure and learning atmosphere was splendidly.
The level “C“ learners had worked with “Cinquain“ method .The method helped to learners enlarge their vocabulary.
I stuck to timing. I would be add to my plan video about seasons and months.
What two things went really well?
– Speaking for myself “Picture shapes“ and “EXPO`s tickets“ games were good where learners spoke more.
– Using a picture dictionary and SQ3R strategy were developed learners cognitive skill.
What two things would have improved the lesson?
– I think that my lesson was less reading and I must give task for reading.
– I believe that I would pay attention to the dialogue.
What have I learned about the class or individuals that will inform my next lesson?
I know I will have to work with text. I must improve free speaking in English.