What a strange place to live
Unit of a long term plan Module 3. Earth and our place on it
School: № 16
Date: 14;15th of November
Teacher name: Berdibekova I.K.
CLASS: 9 Ә
What strange place to live
Learning objectives(s) that this lesson is contributing to (link to the Subject programme)
9.S6 link comments with growing flexibility to what others say at sentence and discourse level in pair, group and whole class exchanges;
9.R3 understand the detail of an argument in extended texts on a range of familiar general and curricular topics
9.W8 spell most high-frequency vocabulary accurately for a wide range of familiar general and curricular topics
All learners will be able to: read the text, protect a poster, pronounce new vocabulary and answer questions correctly with lots of support
Most learners will be able to: read, write and answer the questions then proofread work at text level with little or no support on a range of general and curricular topics;
Some learners will be able to: speak about the specific information and appropriate subject – specific topics with some support;
describe an unusual house, read the text by using new vocabulary
“ Mangilik Yel” Thinking creatively and critically;
Using videos and interactive board
Cross – curricular links
Geography, History, Russian language
The natural world
Planned activities (replace the notes below with your planned activities)
1. Org. moment: a) Greeting b) checking up home task “Hot chair” Modals of deduction
Teacher checks home task by game “Hot chair”. One student should seat on a chair and others should give questions from previous lesson. If the student doesn’t know the answer the chair will be hot. Then another student should seat and in a such kind of should continue the lesson. I think that everything clear for you. Let’s begin our lesson.
c) brainstorm : Video with several types of homes
1. How do you think what about this video?
2. What kind of homes did you see in this video?
3. What kind of homes do you know?
4. Do we live in a such kind of house?
Teacher gives some divergent questions through the video.
Divide into groups: 1st Tree house 2nd Fairy chimney 3rd Cottage
Now, today’s our new theme is What a strange place to live? Open your student’s books’ on p 34.
Excel 9 for Kazakhstan grade
10 strangest places actually live
Middle 22 min
1 TASK WRITING. Vocabulary bank or check these words
Students should take worksheets with some vocabulary for each group and learners should guess their meaning and exchange the worksheets with other groups.
1st Tree house :
1. Tree top –
2. Thatched roof –
3. Notch –
4. Mosquito –
5. Disease –
6. Nightfall –
2nd Fairy chimney:
7. Chat –
8. Fairy chimney –
9. Nature –
10. Upside –
11. Cone –
12. Carve –
13. Cave –
14. Cosy –
15. Courtyard –
16. Fairy – tale –
17. Rock –
18. Surface –
Descriptor: A learner:
– write vocabulary to worksheet.
– speak with clear pronunciation and intonation;
For each task Teacher evaluates the learners BY GIVING Formative assessment.
2 TASK READING. Ex: 1 p 34. Jumbled texts
Teacher gives the texts in papers to each groups, learners should read the text, then give their opinions what kind of house they’ve read about. And should find to which group related the text.
1. for fairy chimneys’ about tree house,
2. for tree house about cottage ,
3. for cottage the text is about fairy chimney.
Descriptor: A learner:
– read the text with pronunciation and guess;
Teacher gives Formative assessment.
3 TASK SPEAKING. “Think, be together, share” Students should find as many words as they can think of related to homes under each of the headings below and describe their home. Make a poster. Pupils should think about ideas about their homes and be together with their group mates, then share their ideas.
1st Tree house
2nd Fairy chimneys
Descriptor: A learner:
– making a poster about types of homes.
– speak with clear pronunciation;
Material rooms stone bedroom
Special features adjectives appliances
fireplace expensive, cosy fridge
GIVING Formative assessment.
End 8 min
To consolidate the lesson Teacher gives some questions and students should answer them.
1. What are the tree houses of the Korowai people made of ?
2. How do the Korowai people get into their houses ?
3. Where are the “Fairy chimneys”?
4. Why do people enjoy living in the “Fairy chimneys”?
5. Have you seen such kind of homes in our region?
6. Do we need such kind of homes?
Formative assessment “Well done”, “Good job”, “Excellent” and so on.
1. write on your stickers positive opinion about what did you like on this lesson.
2. write on your stickers what should we improve.
3. write on your stickers I liked but in the future …
Differentiation – how do you plan to give more support? How do you plan to challenge the more able learners?
Assessment – how are you planning to check learners’ learning?
Health and safety check
– Learners do tasks on reading, writing and speaking with supported pictures, worksheets and watching video on whiteboard;
– Some learners speak about the unusual types of homes by getting support with key words and cards.
Teacher gives formative assessment to learners for each task.
Learners’ Self-assessment: “ Sandwiches”
1. write on their stickers positive opinion about what did they like on this lesson.
2. write on their stickers what they should do to improve.
3. write on their stickers “I liked but in the future…”
To follow the safety instructions in classroom activities.
Were the lesson objectives/learning objectives realistic?
Did all the learners achieve the lesson objectives/ learning objectives? If not, why?
Did my planned differentiation work well?
Did I stick to timings?
What changes did I make from my plan and why?
Use the space below to reflect on your lesson. Answer the most relevant questions from the box on the left about your lesson.
What two things went really well (consider both teaching and learning)?
What two things would have improved the lesson (consider both teaching and learning)?
What have I learned from this lesson about the class or individuals that will inform my next lesson?